Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Delhi 6 Review

Cast:
Abhishek Bachchan...Roshan
Sonam Kapoor...Bittu

Summary:
Roshan is a young NRI who has never been to India, but his grandmother's soul is still in Chandni Chowk. She gets cancer and has little time to live and insists on going back to her heart, Delhi. Roshan agrees to go with her, and he is immediately taken with the energy and care that everyone has. He spends time getting to know all of his grandmother's friends and neighbors and falls in love with the young Bittu, a girl aspiring to be on Indian Idol. There had been attacks from an unknown person disguised as a kalaa bandar (black monkey) and soon the paranoia goes to new heights. Everything becomes about religion and how Hindus are against Muslims and Muslims are against Hindus. Neighbors and friends start turing against each other and eventually everyone's pent up anger is expressed on the mixed "foreigner" Roshan because he is both Hindi and Muslim.

Review:
This film was basically about the inside of Delhi, and was more a study of it's culture rather than of specific characters and their problems. But rather it was about the culture's problems and the way they have to fix those problems as a society together. Now, I walked into the theater expecting a very good masala film all about Roshan and Bittu's love, but instead I was surprised by this cultural study that I found rather depressing. I think it did a really good job expressing how irrational people become when they are scared. It really showed the deep insecurities in India and how even though people know what they are doing is wrong, they still do it because society has said to do so and done so for so long. I enjoyed this film a lot, but honestly I wish there was more Sonam and Abhishek in it! I think Sonam was really at her best! Bittu was definatly the best character in the film because she seemed so really and I have to say I think she has improved since Saawariya. I would recommend this film if you are not expecting to come away with a good feeling. I came away with a kind of disgusted feeling about how strange society has become and is, and how juvenile and stupid people are. But I still liked it and I think anyone would.

Songs:
I really enjoyed all of the music from this film! I think my favorites are the title track 'Delhi 6' and 'Masakali'. They are not your typical bollywood songs, but this film is not your typical bollywood film!

No comments: